Thursday, May 16, 2013

Accomplishments








Diabetes Blog WeekClick for the Accomplishments Big and Small -Thursday 5/16 Link List
We don’t always realize it, but each one of us had come a long way since diabetes first came into our life. It doesn’t matter if it’s been 5 weeks, 5 years or 50 years, you’ve done something outstanding diabetes-wise. So today let’s share the greatest accomplishment you've made in terms of dealing with your (or your loved one’s) diabetes...


One of the biggest accomplishments I have made in terms of dealing with diabetes is admitting it is a big deal.  I have spent so much of my life convincing people that diabetes is not a big deal and hiding and minimizing all the work that I do that I even convinced myself that it wasn't a big deal. I do not want pity. I do not want people to worry about me, or try to help me if I don't ask. I do not want to be marked by diabetes. But I am. And it is a big deal. And that's OK.  I can still be awesome anyway. It took me a while to be OK with that. I am still working on it. Now, though, I am better at making time to take care of myself, I am better at asking for help and I am a better diabetes advocate.

1 comment:

  1. I have a similar feeling on this. I strive to show non D's that i can do all the same things, that D's should not be treated any differently, that you too can live a healthy life with D, AND then i do all this fundraising and I'm basically saying, "I'm sick. The things I am facing in my life as i age with this disease are horrifying, and I need you to push our government to fund critical research for this horrendous disease". it's hard/exhausting playing both roles.

    ReplyDelete